The Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights on Monday sent Maine a “final warning” letter over its refusal to comply with Title IX before the investigation is handed over to the Justice Department for enforcement.
“The Maine Department of Education’s indifference to its past, current, and future female athletes is astonishing,” said Acting Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Craig Trainor. “By refusing to comply with Title IX, MDOE allows—indeed, encourages—male competitors to threaten the safety of female athletes, wrongfully obtain girls’ hard-earned accolades, and deny females equal opportunity in educational activities to which they are guaranteed under Title IX.”
On March 19, OCR provided MDOE with a proposed Resolution Agreement to voluntarily resolve its Title IX violations or risk imminent enforcement action. Since then, MDOE has taken no action to protect women and girls from discrimination in sports or intimate spaces. Today’s letter of impasse notifies MDOE that unless it signs a Resolution Agreement by April 11, OCR will refer the matter to DOJ for proceedings, which could result in termination of MDOE’s federal education funding. (Education Department)
“Under prior administrations, enforcement was an illusory proposition. No more," Trainor added. "The Trump-McMahon Education Department is moving quickly to ensure that federal funds no longer support patently illegal practices that harm women and girls."
Sen. Susan Collins of Maine pushed back against Gov. Janet Mills and the MDOE, arguing her state’s law allowing males in girls’ sports goes against not only President Trump’s executive order but also the “spirit and intent” of Title IX, which prohibits sex-based discrimination in schools.
A recent poll conducted by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center shows most Maine residents are in agreement with Collins and the Trump administration.
Recommended
Sixty-four percent of Maine residents said transgender athletes “definitely should not” or “probably should not” be allowed to compete in girls’ and women’s sports. Only 29 percent said they “probably” or “definitely should” be able to participate.
Last month, Trump and Mills clashed at the White House over the issue, with the Democrat telling the president she would see him in court.
"Good, I'll see you in court," he replied. "I look forward to it."