The Globalist Authoritarians Are Playing With Fire
The Only Thing Democrats Won’t Stand Up for Is America
The Press Says Not All Billionaires Are Spending Equal, and Larry O'Donnell Negotiates...
Who's Defying Court Orders Again?
New Bill From Chip Roy to Protect Exotic Hunting Ranches Could Bolster Conservation
Injustice in Nashville
Fighting Against the Tide Of History
The Party of Hate
Time to Lower the Boom on Harvard
In Germany, the Government Wants to Decide What Is True
After Many Warnings, Trump Admin. Freezes Funding for Maine Over Refusal to Comply...
More Bad News Could Be Coming for Planned Parenthood
USCIS Stops Biden Gender Policy ‘Effective Immediately’
Details on Biden's Endorsement of Harris Shows How Much Dems Were in Disarray...
Does This New Poll Show Hopeful News for Israel?
Tipsheet

DOD Sending More Troops to Saudi Arabia to Deter Iranian Attacks

AP Photo/Charles Dharapak

The Pentagon announced on Friday that Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has approved more U.S. troops and equipment to be sent to Saudi Arabia to deter Iranian aggression in the region.

Advertisement

Personnel and equipment being deployed to Saudi Arabia include:

  • Two fighter squadrons
  • One Air Expeditionary Wing (AEW)
  • Two Patriot Batteries
  • One Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system (THAAD)

"Secretary Esper informed Saudi Crown Prince and Minister of Defense Muhammad bin Salman this morning of the additional troop deployment to assure and enhance the defense of Saudi Arabia," said Chief Pentagon Spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman. "Taken together with other deployments, this constitutes an additional 3,000 forces that have been extended or authorized within the last month."

"Since May, the Department of Defense has increased the number of forces by approximately 14,000 to the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility as an investment into regional security," Hoffman said. "As we have stated, the United States does not seek conflict with the Iranian regime, but we will retain a robust military capability in the region that is ready to respond to any crisis and will defend U.S. forces and interest in the region."

Advertisement

The increase in troops deploying to the region comes after the United States and other allies have said evidence point to Iran being behind the attack on Saudi oil fields in September.

Houthi rebels in Yemen said they were behind the attack, but Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said there was no evidence the strikes came from Yemen, but instead they came from Iran, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement